ROSS STERLING MANSION
It is a shame that many of the local grand old homes that represented the power and success of their owners are now gone. One of those surviving mansions is the Jim West home down in Clear Lake. However its future is in jeopardy. The lack of historic civic pride by its current owner has placed the crosshairs of destruction dead center on the home, stalled for the moment by a poor economy. The organization “Preserved in Time” is still working to acquire the property and save it from becoming another parking lot. Recently their efforts have been expanded to include yet another historic home built by a very prominent Texan.
The Ross Sterling home in Morgan’s Point near La Porte has been a local landmark for over 80 years. Construction started in 1924 and the home was completed in 1927. The well known architect Albert Finn designed the mansion with instructions for the front to look similar to the White House in Washington. The 21,000 square foot home has 34 rooms and its walls were constructed using Texas limestone 12 inches thick.
Ross Sterling was the founder of Humble Oil (Exxon) and governor of Texas from 1931 – 1933. His financial interests also included owning newspapers and a railroad. He was involved with banking and president of the American Maid Flour mills. As a result of the death of his son Ross Sterling Jr. in 1924 governor Sterling’s involvement with boys became a civic priority. He donated the bayshore boys recreation center to the YMCA in the 1920’s and his fabulous Morgan’s Point mansion to charity in 1946. It was used as a boy’s home by the Houston Optimist Club. This wonderful part of Texas history should be preserved. Having survived many storms over the decades it would be a great loss if it fell prey to the ravages of time and neglect. If you would like to help with the preservation of the home then please contact www.preservedintime.org.
CAMP ROSS STERLING JR.
THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE FROM THE CAMP ROSS STERLING DONATED IN MEMORIAL TO HIS SON. IT OFFERED THE BOYS OF THE GULF COAST AN OPPORTUNITY TO EXPERIENCE A STRUCTURED ENVIRONMENT IN WHICH TO GROW INTO DISCIPLINED YOUNG MEN. THE CAMP WAS LOCATED SOUTH OF BAYTOWN ON CEDAR POINT OFF OF TRINITY BAY. THE PROPERTY WAS OWNED BY THE STERLING'S AND BEFORE THAT SAM HOUSTON, WHERE HE BUILT HIS SUMMER CABIN CALLED "RAVENSMORE". THE PHOTOS WERE TAKEN IN JULY OF 1931.
TO NAVIGATE THIS SLIDE SHOW CLICK ON THE SMALL IMAGE TO VIEW IT IN A LARGER FORMAT. TO SEE MORE SMALL IMAGES CLICK ON THE ARROWS ON THE RIGHT OR LEFT OF THE IMAGE BAR BELOW!
LA PORTE Train Station
ELEVATION 28 FEET.... SAN FRANCISCO - 2148 MILES AND NEW ORLEANS - 386 MILES
Just one way to reach Camp Sterling...
JIM WEST MANSION - HELP SAVE A PART OF HISTORY!
HOUSTON REMEMBERED INDEX PAGE!